Snowmobile races at Sharon this Saturday the 21st !

Everyone loves to check out special events. This area is for posting about races, shows, swap meets, and basiclly any event you think others should know about!
Vmax540

Snowmobile races at Sharon this Saturday the 21st !

Post by Vmax540 »

Vintage Vmax featuring Tyler will be there ! http://www.sharonspeedway.com/2011/12/1 ... 21-events/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson
mrviper700

Re: Snowmobile races at Sharon this Saturday the 21st !

Post by mrviper700 »

watched him race from the grand stands, looks like he needed 8-10 inch carbides as he was pushing alot in the turns or possibly he has too many picks for the carbide size. Sled did well on the start and down the straights but he would end up high on the outside of the turns.

good job though, we enjoyed watching him race! looks like alot of fun! :D
RPM-Technologies- 2 stroke engine performance
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Tyler's been pretty quiet here, whats up with that. Post some pictures of the race. Hope you had warmer temps then Eagle River, Thur and Fri were -21. We now have a Yamaha as World Champion in the Pro Sprint 600 class

mrviper700

Post by mrviper700 »

Nice job!

I dont know if tyler won anything or not, missed out on a couple races getting food/hot chcoclates. he will tell I am sure, the sled was moving out pretty good down the back straights, looked like alot of fun to run the race.
RPM-Technologies- 2 stroke engine performance
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

nope no hardware this time... but the 10" skags are ordered... i have about 144 studs in the track and 6" 60 degree carbide.... i knew it wouldnt be enough but it was the best we had. after that let down and the taste of going 3 wide for the lead through the first turn, i broke down and bought 10" carbides. hopefully that is enough. also im probably going to lower the front another 2" or so. if i cant get it to turn after that then i guess ill have to take some studs out, i really hate to do that because the launches i got were amazing against that new stuff.

i really hope we get some cold weather and snow here for the next race, i already sent my registration money in.

right now i have the suspension out of my sled. when we attempted to adjust the ride height, i realized the lower front shock bolt had fallen out! The front shock was only attached to the skid by 1 bolt(worthless) for both features and god knows how long before that.

you should have came in the pits and said hello! heck you should have been in the pits with YOUR sled! :)

im totally loving trying to make this old iron go fast and turn left. i just wish there were more than 2 races a year around here. (there are some further away, maybe next year i will think about venturing further, not that far tho)
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

mrviper700 wrote:the sled was moving out pretty good down the back straights, looked like alot of fun to run the race.
i feels like it is going 100 down the straight aways but i had to leave off so early to get whoa'd for the turns or else slide off the track....

how did you like when, in the vintage feature,i went over the cushion on 3&4 just trying to find SOMEWHERE i could steer... ill bet the announcer got excited when he saw me bouncing around up there hahaha
My airbox is held on by one screw, not because Im lazy but because it is less weight!

Any questions or comments about this site itself can be directed to me at tylerochs@hotmail.com
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Ty if I can offer a suggestion, Driver posistion. Even in the pic here I posted of Regan, he's sitting up because this is after the checkered and the only time I can really see him on that tiny camera screen :roll:
You can see the ski is picked up, if he was in the normal position, his wt would be further off to the left and he would be holding it down at a much higher speed, here hes just riding to the track exit
Go here, http://www.speedgraphicscompany.com/201 ... day_A.html
7382 - 7403 is Regan racing. You can see in some pictures he is not as far over as he should be, and is the biggest thing for him to work on, Look how low # 616 can get in some of these pictures. Thats a big differance in handing

You might also want to get an orange helmet or a orange sock to go over yours and orange on your jacket. Can't go out here with out that, if you fall off, people behinde you have to see which is the driver and which is the sled so you don't get hit
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

yeah bob that is like as far as i can easily get to the left.... i think i need to lower my bars and maybe bend them more... the sled is incredibly stable and rarely lifts a ski even with my near centered position. You should have seen some of my other positions... hanging out over the hood, standing up, as far left and forward of the bars as i could... it just sucked in the turns....

good point about the black on black... i originally thought it was a good idea to be wearing black because it will stand out the most from the snow. but i guess if my sled is also black and there is enough snow dust (really only maybe the first heat i run) they might not know which black object has feelings hahaha

i guess ill get a orange hunting vest and wear it, gonna have to find someone to sew it up so its form fitting tho, i dont want some baggy crap hanging off of me

tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

looks like regan is getting it pretty well in picture 7400, but thats also about the time he made the pass... im not sure how 616 can even reach the throttle?? he must have some real custom bent bars... mine are just stock with some cut and welds to make the throttle angle back some more and a custom 45* or so hook on the left... im thinking about making the 540 completely race this summer since i dont see myself trail riding it as long as i have newer and better

a smaller seat would also help me get light, low, and left.... that might be the next think to go.... i would hate to rip my very very nice stock seat cover anyways

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Bars are all custom made and slid over to the left, even the strering coulm is on an angle. It also has some panals and tubing on the right side to hook your foot in and push and theres a little "seat" coming of the left side running board to support your ass. Regans problem is he's 6'3", well and 10 years older then many of the others The 616 has been around for many years and runs 5 classes including Champ, hes got alot of laps
Carbides need to be first, should be race carbides. We sharpen ours every race and they never hit anything ecept the actual race track. We, well, everybode use ski boots. They don't come off untill were on the ice track and we stop at the end to put the boots on before it comes into the pits. Even in the traile or shop, carbide never hits the ground. They also are a tech item, as is pick height and we are teched on it at every race

I returned your PM but it acted kinda strange when I hit send, Let me know if it didn't go threw
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

i got your pm i was looking at ski boots, but they are just so damn expensive for someone as serious (or not) as me... these races arent anything like your used to bob haha... heck there were people there that had NO studs at all, and others that had to use starting fluid while holding the throttle 1/2 way open to get it started... they even had new 4 stroke phazers(500cc) racing against 2 stroke 500's...

its only for fun, but like most things i get way more into it than i should... plus running a 535cc <100hp sled against 600cc 110+hp sleds puts the ball in the rider and tuners hands instead of the motor.... i cant wait to beat all of these news sleds with my old "junk".... did i mention by the end of the "open" class race the was almost dust coming off the track. WE NEED SNOW, or at least below freezing temps to make ice!!

what do you mean by "race carbides" this may be something i have never head of... now your going to tell me they lay the carbide in at and angle for only making left turns or something...

Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Well, I've had a beard since HS but if I shaved, I could use our carbides :shock:
Heres a link for you. http://www.wahlracing.com/pages.php?pageid=10
Many of the most fun races we've ever done have been small local races, our races just cost more, the chalange is their on either level. You should have no problem beating higher HP sleds, it is about handling
Good carbides are first, what you need will be detirmined by what you race on. RAce carbides are great, but if you can't keep then off the ground you will trash them fast, so buy cheaper ones and just replace them.
Like most teams we took an old pick up box liner and cut it out to fit our sled. Wide enough to fit both skis on in ft, then narrow it down to just go under the track. Looks like a big "T" lying on the ground. We made a hitch on the ft part and drag the sled back and forth to the ice from the trailer with an ATV, now you have another use for your tractor :lol: . Most tracks for us flood the roads we pit off of, if its good ise we just drive the sled with the boots on.
Next is studs, you need enough to give you a good holeshot, but not to many to give you a push in the corners. Number of studs is not the only factor here. Race studs are not carbide studs, simple steel studs but they are narrow dia so they penatraite well and sharp, very sharp. Just like carbides, we have a tech measurment on stud lenght. The tech measurements are really saftey rules so if anyone were to get run over, they shouldnt get down threw the saftey gear to skin.
IDK the answer on the chassis. I know they made lowering kits at one time for TSS, I think getting the center of gravity lower would really help, not sure what you can do to controll spring rate or shock action. I would tighten down the straps on both ends of the rear to keep it low. Both my SRV and VM have xtra 10s set up for trail so IDK what to use for springs and shock on a stock skid. We use a big sway bar, I think there was one for the VM, I'd find one, or make one and use a bigger bar.
If most are on trail sleds get that stuff set up should more them make up for a 10 HP differance
Bob Vehring

Post by Bob Vehring »

Sorry, I forgot the important part. First I understand many people can't aford all this, so you do the best you can, but heres something you can't scrimp on. Saftey gear. I've had 23 broken bones in my life going back to when I was a kid. People always told me that stuff would come back on me as I got old, they were right. Protect yourself.
In addition to a current snell helmet, we are required to have, a Tekvest, shoulder protection, elbow gaurds, knee and shin protectors. I understand this is 1500-2000 grand. If your race doesn't require this I still would at least find an old Saf-Jac or equivilent moto x chest protector, you can find them used, Leg and arm protection even if its skateboard stuff and a karting neck colar which are under 20 bucks
Regan has been off the sled twice this season both times about 75 mph Saftey gear prevented any serious injurys
tyler440

Post by tyler440 »

basically everyone besides maybe 7 sleds are trail sleds. thats out of probably 40 sleds. the sleds that are "race" sleds are pretty fancy but i dont think they are on your level. i wish i was in the midwest where snowmobile races are held on basically skating rinks and you dont have to worry about rocks smashing your radiator. heck i just wish it would snow.

i dont think my drag race mower could pull my sled even if it had traction.... here are some videos... mine is the low, silver craftsman on the right of the first video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLa2PBO3Wr8

this is the yz250 on the right... and a gs1000 streetbike on the left
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmti2WQDMkc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQx3NOabjS0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6v5EQiCvlQ

there are a bunch more if you look under that user or my account b0mber315

back to the sled... i already cut the front springs so it sits lower and cinched up both limiter straps up so the back is lower. that did make lowering tubes for the tss, i have only ever seen 1 set and then went for like $75 on ebay... i think im going to make my own, and also make them adjustable. as far as the rear goes, i am still debating whether or not to start drilling holes to relocated the suspension in the tunnel (probably wont do this yet) also i am in the process of switching the majority of parts from my vmax4 skid into the 540. it was in better shape and it has a couple more adjustment holes where i can mount the different arms. i would like to try a sway bar, but my sled isnt stock width and i imagine ill need to be very lucky to find a mass produced swaybar thats the right width.... that might be a summer project

i should have mentioned that under that leather coat is a dirtbike chest protector, the reason im wearing my dirt helmet is because it has the highest safety rating i own, snell m2005 i believe... guess im still risking it with my arms and legs. but i am not spending a bunch of money on something that might not even be around next year, or this year for that matter.